Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / St. Sampson’s Cathedral

St. Sampson’s Cathedral

Categories / Architecture/Architectural Monuments/Religious Architecture (see also Religion.Church)
Categories / Religion. Church/Places of Worship (see also Architecture and Urban Planning)

ST SAMPSON’S CATHEDRAL, located at 41 Bolshoy Sampsonievsky Avenue. An architectural monument, one of the oldest churches of St. Petersburg. Constructed in 1728-40 in the Baroque style of Anna Ioannovna on the site of a wooden church, founded by Tsar Peter the Great in 1709, on Vyborgskaya Side, honouring the victory over the Swedes in the Poltava battle, won on the day of St. Sampson. The first city cemetery and the first hospital were opened on the territory of the church. The main building of the church was arched and crowned with a cupola on a high facetted dome drum. The refectory and multi-storied hipped-roof bell tower adjoin the main building. The main iconostasis features icons by A. Kvashnin, A. Pospelov, and T. Bazhenov. In 1761, four small domes were attached to the main drum and the interior of the cathedral was painted. A chapel was constructed in 1800 to the left of the building. Restorations were carried out in 1908-09 (by architect A. P. Aplaksin), new iconostases were built for the side-altars, and a cast iron plaque with the text of the speech Peter the Great made before the Poltava battle was hung on the wall; two Baroque-style chapels were built within the precinct (architect N. E. Lansere), and the church was converted into a cathedral. Since 1874, a charitable society established under the auspices of the church supported a hospice and an orphanage. In 1909, the church congregation built a facility housing missionary courses, halls for talks and a bookshop. In 1938, the St. Sampson’s Cathedral was closed down and its priests were arrested; the building was turned into a storehouse. Restoration of the facade was completed in 1977 by architects V. S. Banige and M. N. Mikishatyev. St. Sampson’s Cathedral housed a branch of St Isaac's Cathedral Museum, since the spring of 2002 services have been held in the side-altar. From the name of the cathedral come the names of Bolshoy Sampsonievsky Avenue and Sampsonievsky Bridge. Up until 1772, many associates of Peter the Great were buried on the Orthodox and Lutheran Cemeteries of St. Sampson’s Cathedral (including "Princely Father" P. I. Buturlin, Siberian Governor Prince M. P. Gagarin, Tsar’s Surgeon L. Blyumentrost, architects D. Trezzini and J. Le Blond). In 1740, A. P. Volynsky, A. F. Khruschov and P. M. Eropkin were buried on the grounds of St. Sampson’s Cathedral, and in 1886 a memorial was installed on their grave (architect M. A. Shchurupov, sculptor A. M. Opekushin). During the bicentenary anniversary of St. Petersburg the monument to Peter the Great was placed in front of the cathedral (by sculptor M. M. Antokolsky, after October 1917 the monument was removed, to be restored in 2003).

References: Аплаксин А. П. Сампсониевский собор в С.-Петербурге, 1709-1909. [СПб.], 1909; Антонов В. В., Кобак А. В. Святыни Санкт-Петербурга: Ист.-церков. энцикл. СПб., 1994. Т. 1. С. 119-122; Музей-памятник Сампсониевский собор / Текст И. С. Филипповой. СПб., 2002.

V. V. Antonov.

Antokolsky Mark Matveevich
Aplaksin Andrey Petrovich
Banige Vladimir Sergeevich
Bazhenov Т.
Blumentrost Lavrenty Lavrentievich
Buturlin Peter Ivanovich
Eropkin Peter Mikhailovich
Gagarin Matvey Petrovich, Duke
Khrushchov Andrey Fedorovich
Kvashnin Andrey Ivanovich
Lansere Nikolay Evgenievich
Le Blond Jean-Baptiste Alexander
Opekushin Alexander Mikhailovich
Peter I, Emperor
Pospelov Alexey
Shchurupov Mikhail Arefievich
Trezzini Domenico
Volynsky Artemy Petrovich

Bolshoy Sampsonievsky Ave/Saint Petersburg, city, house 41

Аплаксин А. П. Сампсониевский собор в С.-Петербурге, 1709-1909. [СПб.], 1909
Антонов В. В., Кобак А. В. Святыни Санкт-Петербурга: Ист.-церков. энцикл. СПб., 1994

The subject Index
St. Isaac's Cathedral
Sampsonievsky Bridge


Blumentrost L. L. (1692-1755), court physician, first President of the Petersburg Academy of Science

BLUMENTROST Lavrenty Lavrentievich (1692-1755, St. Petersburg), court physician, first President of the Petersburg Academy of Sciences. He studied at the Universities of Halle, Oxford, and Leiden and earned the degree of Doctor of Medicine (1713)

Cemeteries (entry)

CEMETERIES. Even before the foundation of St. Petersburg there were several necropolises on the location of the future city: the records of the beginning of the 18th century indicate a Finnish-Swedish cemetery at Elagin (Aptekarsky) Island

City Archaeology

CITY ARCHAEOLOGY. A branch of archaeological research, developed in St. Petersburg (Leningrad) from the middle of the 20th century. Archaeological research in the city started with archaeological excavations conducted in 1952 by archaeologist A.D

Eropkin P.M. (about 1698-1740), architect.

EROPKIN Peter Mikhailovich (about 1698-1740, St. Petersburg), architect, urban planner, architecture theorist. In 1716-24 on the order of the Tsar Peter the Great he was trained in Italy, in 1725 he was conferred a title of architect

Great Northern War of 1700-21

GREAT NORTHERN WAR OF 1700-21 was the war declared by a coalition of states from Central and Eastern Europe (the main participants were Russia, Denmark and Saxony) against Sweden

Opekushin A.M., (1838-1923), sculptor

Opekushin Alexander Mikhailovich (1838-1923), sculptor. Studied at the Drawing School of the Society of Art Promotion and in the workshop of sculptor D.I. Jensen. Was a full member of Academy of Arts (1895)

Saltykov V.F. Chief of police General in 1734-42

SALTYKOV Vasily Fedorovich (1675-1751), statesman, general en chef (1741), adjutant-general (1734). He served at Preobrazhensky Life Guards Regiment. In 1732-42 Petersburg Chief of Police General

Sampsonievsky Bolshoy Avenue

SAMPSONIEVSKY BOLSHOY AVENUE, named Samsonievskaya Street in 1739, then B. Samsonievsky Avenue in the early 19th century, receiving its present name in the late 19th century

Sampsonievsky Bridge

SAMPSONIEVSKY BRIDGE, (in 1918-1998 known as Svobody Bridge, Bridge of Freedom), over the Bolshaya Nevka, linking Kuybysheva Street and Finlandsky Avenue. The bridge was named after St. Sampson’s Cathedral

Volynsky A.P. (1689-1740), statesman

VOLYNSKY Artemy Petrovich (1689-1740, St Petersburg), statesman, Chief Master of the Hunt (1736). He was married to Peter the Great's cousin, A.L. Naryshkina. Started his career in the Vladimirsky Dragoon Regiment (1708)

Vyborgskaya Side

VYBORGSKAYA SIDE, a historical district of St. Petersburg, on the right bank of the Neva River and the Bolshaya Nevka River. In the east, it is confined by the Chernaya Rechka River

Vyborgsky District

VYBORGSKY DISTRICT is an administrative territorial unit of St. Petersburg. (Its territory administration is located at 86 Bolshoy Sampsonievsky Avenue) The district was founded in 1917; and its present-day territorial borders were established in

Zemtsov M.G. (1688-1743), architect.

ZEMTSOV Mikhail Grigoryevich (1688-1743, St. Petersburg), architect, graphic artist, theorist of architecture, representative of the early Baroque. He studied at the Armoury Printing House School in Moscow. He worked in St