Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Russian Historical Society

Russian Historical Society

Categories / Science. Education/Learned Societies

RUSSIAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, fully named the Imperial Russian Historical Society, a scientific society founded in 1866 for collecting, processing, and publishing documents on the history of Russia from government and private archives. According to its charter, the society was under the control of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It held its meetings at 36 Millionnaya Street. The society had a council with Prince P. A. Vyazemsky as the first chairman and A. A. Polovtsev as secretary and actual manager who became the chairman in 1879. A number of historians took part in the society activities including S. M. Solovyev, V. O. Klyuchevsky, N. I. Kostomarov, P. P. Pekarsky and A. N. Pypin. The society published Collections in 1867-1916, totalling 148,000 copies, which included documents on the history of Russia between the 15th and 19th centuries, and Dictionary of Russian Biographies in 1867-1918, totalling 25,000, which, however, was not completed. A Special Commission was established under the society in 1912 to discuss the procedure for retaining local archives. In 1914, a congress was held on the initiative of the society for regional archivists to discuss urgent issues of archive-keeping and archaeography. It was dissolved after October 1917 and the society was officially closed in 1920, its property was transferred to the Russian Academy of Sciences.

References: Императорское Русское историческое общество, 1866-1916. Пг., 1916; Хартанович М. Ф. Санкт-Петербург - центр российской гуманитарной науки XIX столетия // Вестн. РАН. 2002. Т. 72, № 5. С. 422-425.

M. F. Khartanovich.

Klyuchevsky Vasily Osipovich
Kostomarov Nikolay Ivanovich
Pekarsky Peter Petrovich
Polovtsov Alexander Alexandrovich
Pypin Alexander Nikolaevich
Solovyev Sergey Mikhailovich
Vyazemsky Peter Andreevich, Duke

Millionnaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 36

Императорское Русское историческое общество, 1866-1916. Пг., 1916
Хартанович М. Ф. Санкт-Петербург - центр российской гуманитарной науки XIX столетия // Вестн. РАН, 2002

The subject Index
Ministry of Foreign Affairs


Society for the protection of maternity and babies began to work under the management of Professor N.V. Yastrebov in the building of the Maternity Orphanage of Drozhzhina (the present address is 14 Pavlovsky Road)
Source: Tsarskoe Selo

Gorchakov A.M., (1798-1883), statesman

GORCHAKOV Alexander Mikhailovich (1798-1883), Serene High Prince (1871), statesman, diplomat, State Chancellor (1867), Honorary Member of the Petersburg Academy of Sciences (1856). Descended from the ancient princely Rurik Dynasty

Historical Societies (entry)

HISTORICAL SOCIETIES, associations of historians, including both professionals and amateurs, aimed at studying and developing various historical issues. Most historical societies received imperial support during the 19th and early 20th centuries

Nikolay Mikhailovich (1859-1919), Grand Prince

NIKOLAY MIKHAILOVICH (1859, Tsarskoe Selo - 1919, Petrograd), Grand Prince, general of infantry (1913), adjutant general (1903), honorary member of Petersburg Academy of Sciences (1898)

Patronage of Art (entry)

PATRONAGE OF ART is disinterested financial and other forms of participation in the culture, science, and assistance to figures of science and culture. The beginning for patronage of art in St

Pobedonostsev K.P. (1827-1907), statesman

POBEDONOSTSEV Konstantin Petrovich (1827-1907, St. Petersburg), statesman, lawyer, writer and translator, Full Privy Councilor (1883), Personal Secretary (1894). Graduated from the Jurisprudence College in St. Petersburg in 1846

Polovtsov А.А. (1832-1909) statesman, entrepreneur

POLOVTSOV Alexander Alexandrovich (1832, estate in Rapti Luzhsky Uyezd, St. Petersburg Province - 1909, same place), statesman, entrepreneur, patron of arts, Actual Privy Counsellor (1885), Secretary of State (1883)