Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Bakunina Avenue

Bakunina Avenue


Categories / City Topography/Urban Network/Avenues

BAKUNINA AVENUE between Nevsky Prospect and Sinopskaya Embankment. It was laid in the mid-to-late 18th century. Known as Malo-Okhtinsky Ferry Avenue in the late 18th century, it was renamed as Malookhtinsky Avenue in 1820-71, Kalashnikovsky Avenue after the Kalashnikov Merchants in 1871-1918, and finally Bakunina Avenue in memory of anarchism philosopher M. A. Bakunin (1814-76). The avenue was mainly built up between the 19th century and early 20th century. House 4 was built by architect M. B. Kvart as his own house in 1910-11; house 6 was built by architect V. P. Stasov in 1785 and 1812-13 and rebuilt in 1905 to accommodate Mytny Dvor; house 8 was built by architect F. L. Miller in 1877-78; and house 14 was built in 1820-30s to accommodate Uspensky Dvor Stalls. At the corner of Khersonskaya Street there is Chernyshevsky Garden (formerly, Ovsyannikovsky Garden) set up where Chernyshevsky was striped of his honours and subjected to mock execution known as civil execution in 1864.

G. Y. Nikitenko.

Persons
Bakunin Mikhail Alexandrovich
Chernyshevsky Nikolay Gavrilovich
Kvart Mikhail Borisovich
Miller (Muller) Ferdinand Loginovich
Stasov Vasily Petrovich
the Kalashnikovs

Addresses
Bakunina Ave/Saint Petersburg, city, house 14
Bakunina Ave/Saint Petersburg, city, house 4
Bakunina Ave/Saint Petersburg, city, house 8
Bakunina Ave/Saint Petersburg, city
Bakunina Ave/Saint Petersburg, city, house 6
Khersonskaya St./Saint Petersburg, city
Nevsky prospect/Saint Petersburg, city
Sinopskaya Embankment/Saint Petersburg, city