Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Gutuevsky Island

Gutuevsky Island

Categories / City Topography/Geographical Objects/Islands

GUTUEVSKY ISLAND situated at the mouth of the Bolshaya Neva River and washed by Morskoy Canal in the west and the Ekaterinhofka River in the east. It is 320 hectares in area, 3.8 kilometres long and 1.2 kilometres wide. It is linked to the mainland via Gutuevsky Bridge aligned with the southern Obvodny Canal Embankment and Ekaterinhofsky Bridge aligned with Rizhsky Avenue and to Kanonersky Island via an underwater road tunnel. There were a number of islands here until the early 18th century with Vitsasaari (Bush Island) and Alaissaari (Lower Island) among the largest of them. It has had the present-day name since 1798. The island was named after Konon Gutuev, a merchant and shipbuilder from Olonets who owned the island. The geometry of the island changed as the Sea Port and Morskoy Canal were built here in 1874-85. After a number of streams were filled up in 1960s, Bolshoy Rezvy Island, Volny Island, and Gladky Island were annexed to Gutuevsky Island. Most of Gutuevsky Island is now occupied by the St. Petersburg Sea Port. In the north, there is a residential district with 10,000 inhabitants, the University of Water Transport, House of Culture, sailors' hotel, Port Administration, etc. The Epiphany Church built in 1899 is situated at 2 Dvinskaya Street.

Reference: Шумилова Т. А. Гутуевский остров // Первые открытые слушания "Института Петербурга". СПб., 1994. С. 105-107.

Е. А. Bondarchuk, P. Y. Yudin.

Gutuev Konon

Dvinskaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 2
Gutuevsky Island/Saint Petersburg, city
Obvodny Canal Embankment/Saint Petersburg, city
Rizhsky Ave/Saint Petersburg, city, house 2