Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Ust-Izhora, settlement

Ust-Izhora, settlement

Categories / City Topography/Historical Geography/Historical Districts, Localities, Tracts, Municipal Establishments

UST-IZHORA, an urban settlement (1938), within the Kolpinsky District (1952), on the left bank of the Neva River, where it meets the Izhora River (hence the name), along the Saint Petersburg - Petrozavodsk Highway; also the name of a railway station on the Oktyabrskaya Railway Line, in the direction of Murmansk. As of 2001, the population totaled 1,300 inhabitants. The Nevskaya Battle of 1240 (the Battle of Neva) was fought on the site of present day Ust-Izhora. The Property Register of Votic Fifth (fifth (pyatina) - an administrative and territorial unit of Novgorod) of Veliky Novgorod (1500) mentions five villages situated at the Izhora River Estuary. In the early 18th century, the land was granted to А. D. Menshikov, who brought his serfs here. In 1707, a fortification and Menshikov's travel palace were built on the Izhora River's right bank, just at the estuary; the local shipyard, supervised by shipbuilder O. Nay, manufactured brigantines. From 1728, Ust-Izhora was subject to the Palace Administrative Bureau; in 1800, it became part of the Alexandrovskaya Manufactory; and in 1861, was incorporated into the Izhorskaya Volost (a division for local government in Russia, consisting of a group of village communities). The inhabitants manufactured brick, logged, worked as artisans, and grew berries. In the early 20th century, Ust-Izhora included a branch of the Peasants' Bank, a village training school, a medical dispensary, a club, inns and some other establishments. Today it includes the Sevmorgeo State Scientific Production Association, the Republic Clinic for Infectious Diseases, and a branch of the district library. The St. Alexander Nevsky Church in Ust-Izhora and the St. Vladimir Chapel (1889, architect М. А. Shchyurupov) have survived. There is also an obelisk in honour of navy volunteers who took part in battles with the Swedish Fleet in 1789 (1791, architect А. Rinaldi?), a commemorative Stella dedicated to the Nevskaya Battle of 1240 (1957), a Common Cemetery for soldiers fallen in the Great Patriotic War of 1941-45 (memorial - 1985, architect O. B. Golynkin; 1990, sculptor А. V. Degtyarev), a monument to the Scouts of the 55th Army (2001, architect G. М. Martyugov), and a monument to Prince Alexander Nevsky (2003).

References: Сорокин П. Е. Страницы истории Ижорской земли. Усть-Ижора, 1993.

L. G. Burim.

Degtyarev A.V.
Golynkin Oleg Borisovich
Martyugov G.M.
Menshikov Alexander Danilovich, Gracious Prince
Nigh O.
Rinaldi Antonio
Shchurupov Mikhail Arefievich

Ust-Izhora, village

Сорокин П. Е. Страницы истории Ижорской земли. Усть-Ижора, 1993

The subject Index
Neva Battle (1240)
St. Alexander Nevsky Church in Ust-Izhora