Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / St. Andrew’s Cathedral

St. Andrew’s Cathedral

Categories / Religion. Church/Places of Worship (see also Architecture and Urban Planning)
Categories / Architecture/Architectural Monuments/Religious Architecture (see also Religion.Church)

ST. ANDREW’S CATHEDRAL, located at 21-23 Bolshoy Avenue, Vasilievsky Island, an architectural monument of the 18th century. It was erected in 1764-68 (by architects A. F. Wist, A. A. Ivanov) and decorated in a transitional style merging Baroque with Classicism, where formerly a wooden church had been (1729-32, architect J. Trezzini), the iconostasis of which was carried from the domestic chapel of Prince A. D. Menshikov. In 1744, this church became a cathedral. In 1740-45, the heated stone Church of Three Saints was erected next to it (architect J. Trezzini). In 1781, the St. Andrew’s Cathedral with three side altars was consecrated in its entirety. Four smaller domes framed the main dome. The refectory connected the main volume with the two-tiered hipped-roof bell tower (1784-86). The walls are supported with pilasters and have high half-compassed windows. In 1797, St. Andrew’s Cathedral became the Cathedral of the Order of St. Andrew; a fretted sign of the order was fixed over the gates. In 1848-50, side chapels were added (architect N. P. Grebenka), in 1857-58, the interior was decorated (architect A. M. Gornostaev). The chapel dedicated to St. Nicholas on Nikolaevsky Bridge (today the Lieutenant Schmidt Bridge) was attached to the St. Andrew’s Cathedral (1853-54, architect A. I. Stakenschneider, not preserved). From 1869, a parish charitable society functioned in the building, which maintained an alms-house and an orphanage. In 1938, St. Andrew’s Cathedral was closed, in 1992, it was returned to the Eparchy (along with the Church of Three Saints). The iconostasis of the 18th century has survived. In 2001, an obelisk in honour of the three hundredth anniversary of the Order of St. Andrew the First Called was opened near the cathedral (authors: A. A. Kazakov and Y. V. Sitnikov). In 2002-03, restoration works were carried out. The market of St. Andrew is named after the St. Andrew’s Cathedral (see Markets).

References: Корольков М. Я. Андреевский собор в С.- Петербурге. СПб., 1905; Антонов В. В., Кобак А. В. Святыни Санкт-Петербурга: Ист.-церков. энцикл. СПб., 1994. Т. 1. С. 79-82.

V. V. Antonov.

Antonov Viktor Vasilievich
Gorevoy Yu.V.
Gornostaev Alexey Maximovich
Grebenka Nikolay Pavlovich
Ivanov Alexey Alexeevich
Kazankov Alexander Alexandrovich
Kobak Alexander Valerievich
Menshikov Alexander Danilovich, Gracious Prince
Stakensсhneider Andrey Ivanovich
Trezzini Giuseppe
Wist Alexander Franzevich

Bolshoy Ave of Vasilievsky Island/Saint Petersburg, city, house 21
Bolshoy Ave of Vasilievsky Island/Saint Petersburg, city, house 23

Корольков М. Я. Андреевский собор в С.-Петербурге. СПб., 1905
Антонов В. В., Кобак А. В. Святыни Санкт-Петербурга: Ист.-церков. энцикл. СПб., 1994

The subject Index
Lieutenant Schmidt Bridge
Markets (general)

Bolshoy Avenue of Vasilievsky Island

BOLSHOY AVENUE OF VASILIEVSKY ISLAND, in 1720s-1780s - Bolshaya Prospektivaya or Bolshaya Pershpektivaya Street, in 1918-22 - F. Adlera Avenue, in 1922-44 - Proletarskoy Pobedy Avenue

Gornostaev A.M. (1808-1862), architect.

GORNOSTAEV Alexey Maximovich (1808-1862, St. Petersburg), architect, teacher, representative of the Neo-Russian style, member of the academy (1838), professor of the Academy of Fine Arts (from 1849), college Advisor (1859). From 1825, he lived in St

Vasileostrovsky District

VASILEOSTROVSKY DISTRICT is an administrative territorial unit of St. Petersburg. (Its territory administration is located at 55 Bolshoy Avenue of Vasilievsky Island) Its present-day borders were formed in 1917 (the western part was a separate