Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / St. Sofia Cathedral at Tsarskoe Selo

St. Sofia Cathedral at Tsarskoe Selo

Categories / Architecture/Architectural Monuments/Religious Architecture (see also Religion.Church)
Categories / Religion. Church/Places of Worship (see also Architecture and Urban Planning)

ST. SOFIA CATHEDRAL AT TSARSKOE SELO, located at 1 Sofyskaya Square, Pushkin. The traditional name of the Holy Ascension Cathedral, built in 1782-88 in the Classicist style (architect C. Cameron) in the district centre of Sofia, a settlement, which was later merged with Tsarskoe Selo. The facades are decorated with Dorian porticoes. The main cubical structure is crowned with five domes. The interiors were adorned with religious paintings. In 1849-50, the new iconostases were placed and the right side-altar and were consecrated. In 1903-04, a detached two-storied belfry was erected by architect L. N. Benois. From 1817, St Sofia Cathedral served as the regimental church of the Hussar Life Guard Regiment and the regiment trophies and treasures were kept there. In 1933, the cathedral was closed down and turned into a storehouse. In 1989, it was returned to the faithful. After the reconstruction, on 17 May 1999, it was consecrated according to the full rites. In 1990, the monument to Prince Alexander Nevsky (sculptor V. G. Kozenyuk) was unveiled near St Sofia Cathedral. From the cathedral come the names of Sofiiskaya Square and a street of the town of Pushkin.

Reference: Мещанинов М. Ю. Храмы Царского Села, Павловска и их ближайших окрестностей. СПб., 2000. С. 32-40.

V. V. Antonov.

Benois Leonty Nikolaevich
Cameron Charles
Kozenyuk Valentin Grigorievich

Sofiiskaya Square/Pushkin, town, house 1

Мещанинов М. Ю. Храмы Царского Села, Павловска и их ближайших окрестностей. СПб., 2000

The subject Index
Hussar Life Guards Regiment



20 May. The Cathedral of St. Sophia, that was constructed by architects Ch. Cameron and I. Starov, was consecrated in the presence of Catherine II. Archpriest A.A. Samborsky became the first senior priest of the Cathedral
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


9 June. The first Lyceum graduates ("Pushkinsky") was held and the song "Farewell song of the pupils of the Tsarskoye Selo Lyceum" , text was written by Anton Delvig and music by the Lyceum music teacher Tepper de Fergusson, was performed
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


27 March. The special public prayer was performed at the Cathedral of St. Sophia devoted to the arrival of the Life-Guard His Majesty Cuirassier Regiment for the permanent billeting in Tsarskoye Selo
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


1 January. The balloon "Osoaviakhim - 1" was risen at a height of twenty two hundred metres; the Tsarskoye Selo native A.B. Vasenko, a graduate of the Tsarskoye Selo Nicholas Gymnasium, a worker of the Pavlovsk upper-air observatory
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


8 June. The Divine Liturgy was performed in the Cathedral of St. Sophia, the first church given to the Russian Orthodox Church after stopping the policy of theomachy in Russia. By 2009 eight Orthodox churches have been opened in the town
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


January. The archpriest Gennady leonidovich Zverev was appointed the senior priest of the Cathedral of the Ascension (St. Sophia); since 1998 Zverev became the rural dean of churches of the Tsarskoye Selo District; he was a loyal supporter for
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


May. Ceremonial opening of the Amber Room after the 20 years restoration work took place in the Catherine Palace, this event was timed to coincide with the 300th anniversary of the Founding of Saint Petersburg. 6 June
Source: Tsarskoe Selo

His Majesty's Life-Guards Cuirassier Regiment

One of the oldest regiments of the Russian Army – His Majesty's Life-Guards Cuirassier Regiment – arrived to Tsarskoye Selo for permanent disposition on February 27, 1832. The regiment was established in 1702

Hussar Life Guards Regiment

HUSSAR LIFE GUARDS REGIMENT (from 1855 His Majesty’s Regiment), its history dates back to the Life Hussar Squadron, formed in 1775, which in 1796 was incorporated into the Cossack Life Hussar Regiment

Pushkin, town

PUSHKIN, a town and municipal unit situated south of Saint Petersburg. Known until 1918 as Tsarskoe Selo, and in 1918-37 as Detskoe Selo. As of 2002, population totalled approximately 95,000 inhabitants


SOFIA, the historical name of the town of Pushkin to the south of Catherine Park, between Pavlovskoe Freeway and Krasnoselskoe Freeway. It was founded in 1785 by Empress Catherine II as a chief town of the district. In 1782-88, St

The Church of Saint Martyr Julian of Tarsus of His Majesty's Life-Guards Cuirassier Regiment

The Church of Saint Martyr Julian of Tarsus situated on Kadetsky Boulevard is perhaps the only church of this saint in the world. The church was designed by architect V.N. Kunitsyn and S.A. Dani for His Majesty's Life-Guards Cuirassier Regiment

The Commemorative Sign of His Majesty's Life-Guards Cossack Regiment

Project managers: V.N. Philippov, architects: Professor V.I. Mukhin, Chief Architect of Autonomous Nonprofit Organization “DARSI” V.V. Smolin, Candidate of Architecture E.E. Lavrushin. The sign was established at the Cathedral of St

The Saint Ecatherine Cathedral

The five-domed Saint Catherine of Alexandria Cathedral in Tsarskoye Selo was constructed in the style of Suzdal Cathedrals. It was designed by architect Konstantin Ton. The construction began in 1835 by order of Emperor Nikolay the First