Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Vavilov Institute for the History of Science and Technology of the Russian Academy of Sciences, St.

Vavilov Institute for the History of Science and Technology of the Russian Academy of Sciences, St.


Categories / Science. Education/Science and Planning Institutions

VAVILOV INSTITUTE FOR THE HISTORY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY of the Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg Branch, situated at 2 Tamozhenny Lane. It was founded in 1953 as a Leningrad branch based on the Committee for the History of the Academy of Sciences. It received its present-day name in 1991. In 1953-60, members of the institute prepared two volumes of History of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR devoted to the Academy of the 18th and 19th centuries. A department for the history of the Academy of Sciences and scientific institutions was founded in 1960 to study the history of the Academy of Sciences on the whole and separate science disciplines, as well as institutions, expeditions, and publications of the Academy of Sciences. The department published two volumes of Annals of the Russian Academy of Sciences in 2000-02 covering the activities of the Academy of Sciences between the 18th and the early-to-mid 19th centuries. A department for the history and theory of the doctrine of evolution was founded in 1968 to study milestones and trends of evolutionism and prepare the scientific heritage of Russian biologists for publication. A department for the history of technical sciences and engineering was established in 1969 as a group studying the history of technical sciences and the methods of the history of know-how. The institute also included the Lomonosov Museum until 1990, which is now a part of Kunstkammer. A museum of P. K. Kozlov, one of the academy's members, was established under the institute in 1988 with an exposition of his memorial flat. The institute is situated in the former Museum Wing of the Academy of Sciences built by architect I. F. Luchini in 1826-30.

Reference: Илизаров С. С., Лежнева О. Л. Институт истории естествознания и техники: (Крат. обзор). М., 1981.

M. F. Khartanovich.

Persons
Kozlov Sergey Sergeevich
Lomonosov Mikhail Vasilievich
Luchini Giovanni (Ivan Franzevich)

Addresses
Tamozhenny Lane/Saint Petersburg, city, house 2

Bibliographies
Илизаров С. С., Лежнева О. Л. Институт истории естествознания и техники: (Крат. обзор). М., 1981

The subject Index
Institute of History of the Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg
M. V. Lomonosov Museum


Predtechensky A.V. (1893-1966), historian

PREDTECHENSKY Anatoly Vasilievich (1893-1966, Leningrad), historian, Ph.D. (history) 1941. He came to St. Petersburg in 1908. In 1918, he graduated from the Faculty of History and Philology of Petrograd University