Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Izmaylovsky Avenue

Izmaylovsky Avenue


Categories / City Topography/Urban Network/Avenues

IZMAYLOVSKY AVENUE, running from Fontanka River Embankment to Obvodny Canal Embankment. Called Voznesensky Avenue from the second half of the 18th century to the early 19th century, and Krasnykh Komandirov Street from 1923 to 1944. The avenue was laid in the 1740s through the settlement of the Izmaylovsky Life Guards Regiment (hence the name of the avenue), forming an extension of Voznesensky Avenue. The avenue was built up with standard regiment buildings (№ 6, 8, 13). House No. 2 (late 18th century, architect L. Rusca) was rebuilt in 1803 to accommodate the regiment's officers' quarters. In the 1810s, the corner of Izmaylovsky Avenue and present-day First Krasnoarmeyskaya Street was the site of a regiment riding-hall (not preserved). The Holy Trinity Cathedral of the Izmaylovsky Life Guards Regiment was erected in 1828-35. From 1886 to 1930, the Column of Glory was erected in front of the cathedral to commemorate the Russian victory in the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78 (architect G.G. Grimm; column restored in 2004). Across from the cathedral is a chapel built in memory of the salvation of the imperial family in Borki (1894-95, architect S.P. Kondratyev). House No. 16 was built in 1914 (architect Y.Z. Bluvstein). The A.F. Marx Publishing House was located in house No. 29. Izmaylovsky Avenue is also the address of the Territorial Administration of the Admiralteysky District (house No. 10), the State Medical-Technical School of the Ministry of Public Health of the Russian Federation (house No. 23), and the "Transmashproekt" State Institute for the Engineering of Vehicle Plants (house No. 4). House No. 1 was occupied by S.S. Prokofiev from 1913 to 1917.

G. Y. Nikitenko.

Persons
Bluvstein Yakov Zaharovich
Grimm German Germanovich
Kondratyev Sergey Petrovich
Marx Adolf Fedorovich
Prokofiev Sergey Sergeevich
Rusca Luigi (Aloisy Ivanovich)
Stasov Vasily Petrovich

Addresses
1st Krasnoarmeiskaya St./Saint Petersburg, city
Fontanka River Embankment/Saint Petersburg, city
Izmailovsky Avenue/Saint Petersburg, city, house 4
Izmailovsky Avenue/Saint Petersburg, city, house 16
Izmailovsky Avenue/Saint Petersburg, city, house 29
Izmailovsky Avenue/Saint Petersburg, city, house 8
Izmailovsky Avenue/Saint Petersburg, city, house 23
Izmailovsky Avenue/Saint Petersburg, city, house 10
Izmailovsky Avenue/Saint Petersburg, city
Izmailovsky Avenue/Saint Petersburg, city, house 2
Izmailovsky Avenue/Saint Petersburg, city, house 13
Izmailovsky Avenue/Saint Petersburg, city, house 6
Obvodny Canal Embankment/Saint Petersburg, city

The subject Index
Izmaylovsky Life Guards Regiment
Holy Trinity Cathedral of the Izmailovsky Life Guards Regiment

Chronograph
1930