Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / The Kagul Obelisk, a monument

The Kagul Obelisk, a monument

Categories / Tsarskoe Selo and town of Pushkin. The digital chronological reference book/Monuments of history and culture

The town of Pushkin, the Catherine Park, nearby the Private Garden.

The architect: Antonio Rinaldi (1709-1794)

The obelisk was erected in 1771-1772

Materials: the obelisk and pedestal are made of Siberian grey with veins marble; steps are made of Tivdia red marble; the plinth and stylobata are made of pink granite; the plague with inscription is made of bronze.

On the plague from the northern side of the pedestal:
In memory of the victory at the Kagul River in Moldavia on 21 July 1770,
under the heading of General Count Pyetr Rumyantsev the Russian army 17 thousands in number put the 150-thousand army of Vizier Galil-bey to flight up to the Danube River.
The modest needle-shaped obelisk without allegory decorations and attributes influences upon viewers by the sophistication of its silhouette, the scale and colour spectrum of used marbles. The obelisk is included into the series of the Tsarskoye Selo monuments devoted to the Russo-Turkish War of 1768-1774, from which the theme of military glory in the native monumental art has started.

The late 1770s - the 1790s.
The further improvements of the New (Alexander) Garden. The construction of the Chinese Village, Small and Great Caprices.

Rinaldi Antonio

Ekaterininsky Park/Pushkin, town вблизи Собственного сада

Rinaldi А. (1709-1794), architect

RINALDI Antonio (around 1709-1794), architect of Italian descent. Studied in Naples under L. Vanvitelli. From 1752 served under Hetman K.G. Razumovsky in Malorussia (Little Russia, otherwise known as Ukraine). Since 1754 resided in St

Rumyantsev Family

RUMYANTSEV FAMILY, a noble family (from 1743 a family of Counts), known since the late 14th century. Those most closely associated with St. Petersburg include Peter Alexandrovich Rumyantsev (1725-1796), Count (1743) and Field Marshal General (1775)

Russo-Turkish wars, Monuments to

RUSSO-TURKISH WARS, MONUMENTS TO. Many monuments devoted to victories by the Russian Army and Fleet during the Russo-Turkish War of 1768-1774 have been erected at the Catherine Park at Tsarskoe Selo

the 1770s

The Kagul Obelisk, Morey Column, Chesme Column, Crimea Column, Tower Ruin, Turkish Cascade were built in the honour of the victories of the Russian Army in the Russo - Turkish War of 1768-1774
Source: Tsarskoe Selo

The Monument to Lanskoi. (the marble pedestal «In honour of virtue and services») (an ensemble of the Catherine Park)

The chamber “marble pedestal in honour of virtue and services” or so-called the monument to A.D. Lanskoi is located at the Upper Ponds near the Kagul Obelisk. The monument was erected by the architect A
Source: Tsarskoe Selo

The Private Garden (an ensemble of the Catherine Park)

The Private Garden of Catherine II at the Tsarskoye Selo Palace was laid out by V.I. Neyelov and D. Busch in the 1770s. Catherine II called this part of the park
Source: Tsarskoe Selo