Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
The subject index / Menshikov Palace

Menshikov Palace

Categories / Architecture/Architectural Monuments/Palaces

MENSHIKOV PALACE (15 Universitetskaya Embankment), an architectural monument of late Peter's Baroque, the largest stone building of the first half of the 18th century in St. Petersburg. The building was constructed in 1710-1727 (architects D.M. Fontana, G.J. Schadel) for Prince A.D. Menshikov on the right bank of the Neva River. The decoration work was carried out under the guidance of architects J. B. Le Blonde, A. Schluter, B.K. Rastrelli and others. The Menshikov Palace formed the centre of an extensive mansion and consisted of a four-storied main building and three wings adorned with open galleries resting on columns that the inner courtyard was encircled with. Near it was a regular garden. The facades were adorned with floor pilasters with fretted stone capitals; the central part of the northern facade is crowned with an attic, side corbels have figured pediments. The inner planning is symmetrical with the internal space creating an enfilade. Chambers are adorned with faience tiles, wooden Dutch fireplaces. In the 18th century, the building was reconstructed and redecorated several times. Under Emperor Peter the Great, Menshikov Palace was a centre of Petersburg life: there official diplomatic receptions, assemblies and celebrations took place. After Menshikov fell into disgrace (1727) the Palace was forfeited, and since 1731 it housed the Land Corps (in 1800 it was renamed the First Cadet Corps). In 1730s-40s, to adjust the building to the needs of the Corps a two-storied hall (architect G. Trezzini) and a residential house (currently 1-5 Siezdovskaya Line), in 1758-60 - Eastern Wing on the embankment. The large garden was walled and partly transferred into a parade-ground. In the second half of the 19th century the Soviet of the Main Department of Military Schools of Ministry of Defence and the museum of the Cadet Corps were housed in the Menshikov Palace. In summer of 1917, in the assembly hall the First All-Union Congress of Soviets took place (memorial plaque). In 1926-57, in the Menshikov Palace the Engels Military-Political School was located (the head of the project was architect A.E. Hessen): the interiors of the front staircase, hallway, Menshikov's chambers and other premises were recreated (now they house the exposition devoted to Russian culture of the first third of the 18th century).

References: Калязина Н. В., Калязин Е. А. Дворец Меншикова в Санкт-Петербурге: История, реставрация, музей. СПб., 1996; Трубинов Ю. В. Палаты светлейшего князя Меншикова. СПб., 2003.

S. V. Boglachev.

Fontana Giovanni Mario
Hessen Alexander Ernestovich
Le Blond Jean-Baptiste Alexander
Menshikov Alexander Danilovich, Gracious Prince
Peter I, Emperor
Rastrelli Bartolomeo Carlo de
Schadel Johann Gottfried
Schluter Andreas
Trezzini Domenico

Siezdovskaya Line of Vasilievsky Island/Saint Petersburg, city, house 3
Siezdovskaya Line of Vasilievsky Island/Saint Petersburg, city, house 1
Siezdovskaya Line of Vasilievsky Island/Saint Petersburg, city, house 5
Universitetskaya Embankment/Saint Petersburg, city, house 15

Калязина Н. В., Калязин Е. А. Дворец Меншикова в Санкт-Петербурге: История, реставрация, музей. СПб., 1996


Bolshaya Neva

BOLSHAYA NEVA, the largest left branch of the the Neva river delta; a continuation of the Neva River below the Dvortsovaya Bridge. The Bolshaya Neva flows into the Neva Bay of the Gulf of Finland, in the area surrounded by Vasilievsky Island

Concert Halls (entry)

CONCERT HALLS appeared in St. Petersburg in the late 18th century. Earlier, musicians arranged paid concerts in palaces of grandees, theatres, and taverns. The first documented series of public concerts refers to the concerts given by G


HERMITAGE, State Museum (32-38 Dvortsovaya Embankment) is one of the biggest museums in the world, exhibiting art as well as cultural and historical objects. It consists of 5 inter-connected buildings: the Winter Palace, the Small Hermitage

Hessen A.E. (1917- 2001 ), architect-restorer

Hessen Alexander Ernestovich (1917, Petrograd - 2001, St. Petersburg), architect, restorer, one of the founders of the school of scientific architectural restoration in Leningrad. He graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts (1939)

Menshikov A.D. (1672/73-1729), governor general

MENSHIKOV Alexander Danilovich (1672 or 1673-1729), count (1702), Serene High Prince of Izhora (1707), a statesman and a military leader, Generalissimo (1727). Once a friend of the young Tsar Peter the Great's, later becoming his closest associate

Oranienbaum, Park Museum

ORANIENBAUM, PARK MUSEUM, state in the town of Lomonosov, was established in 1918 in the territory of the palace and park ensemble of the same name. Oranienbaum was opened to visitors in 1922. The museum got its present-day name in 1993

Schluter A., (1659-1714), architect

SCHLUTER Andreas (1659-1714, St. Petersburg), sculptor, architect, designer. Studied and worked in Berlin, later in Warsaw. In 1713, by invitation of Peter the Great, came to St

Universitetskaya Embankment

UNIVERSITETSKAYA EMBANKMENT (prior the end of the 18th century, Kadetskaya Embankment, until 1887 - Bolshaya Neva River Embankment), is situated on the right bank of the Bolshaya Neva, between Birzhevaya Square and Sixth Line of Vasilievsky Island

Vasileostrovsky District

VASILEOSTROVSKY DISTRICT is an administrative territorial unit of St. Petersburg. (Its territory administration is located at 55 Bolshoy Avenue of Vasilievsky Island) Its present-day borders were formed in 1917 (the western part was a separate

Water Supply Services

WATER SUPPLY SERVICES. Since the very foundation of St. Petersburg the majority of the city population had provided their water supply on their own from the nearest water bodies; the residents of places located far from rivers and canals used the