Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Russian Diesel Engine Plant

Russian Diesel Engine Plant

Categories / Economy/Industry

RUSSIAN DIESEL ENGINE PLANT (17 Vyborgskaya Embankment) is an open joint-stock company, the largest Russian plant manufacturing Diesel engines, the leading company of this branch. It was founded in 1862 as the plant of Ludwig Nobel; in 1912, the plant was transferred into the ownership of a joint-stock company, but the Nobel family remained its de facto owner. The plant produced field artillery guns, gun carriages, shells, steam engines and steam boilers of various types, hoisting cranes, presses and other equipment for industrial factories, pipes for pipelines, water pipes, mines and other purposes. The production of internal combustion engines started in the 1890s; in 1899, the raw oil engine was invented. This was an important stage in building of Diesel engines. At the beginning of the 20th century, a Diesel engine for ships was invented and the new type of water transport, a motor boat, appeared. The plant was nationalised after October 1917 (in 1919, it was renamed Russian Diesel Engine Plant), and specialised in making Diesel engines for ships. In the years of the Great Patriotic war of 1941-45 the plant produced mine shells and water pump pipes, in post-war years it built powerful ship Diesel aggregates, which were installed on almost all the ships of Soviet tanker and trade fleets, and most ships of the Navy and Space Mission Control ships. Engines made at the plant were exported to many countries of the world. The construction of the plant for making Diesel reducer aggregates and Diesel generators for equipping sea and river ships and Diesel electric power stations started in the village of Kirpichny of Vsevolozhsky District in 1988. The factory was included in Russian Diesel Engine Association. At the beginning of the 1990s, the plant was reincorporated as a joint-stock company. In 1999 the St. Petersburg plant was declared bankrupt and closed. The plant in Vsevolozhsk, also called Russian Diesel Engine currently manufactures spare parts.

References: Механич. завод "Людвиг Нобель", 1862-1912. СПб., 1912; Яшин Е. П. Завод "Русский дизель" - пионер отечественного судового дизелестроения // Двигателестроение. 1996. № 2. С. 6-8.

V. S. Solomko.

Vyborgskaya Embankment/Saint Petersburg, city, house 17

Механический завод Людвиг Нобель, 1862-1912. СПб., 1912
Яшин Е. П. Завод "Русский дизель" - пионер отечественного судового дизелестроения // Двигателестроение , 1996


Nobel Family, entrepreneurs

NOBEL FAMILY, entrepreneurs from Sweden. Emmanuel Nobel (1801-72), a professor of descriptive geometry and engineering at Stockholm Technological Institute, came to Russia in 1837, and his family moved to St. Petersburg in 1842

Pirogovskaya Embankment

PIROGOVSKAYA EMBANKMENT on the right bank of the Bolshaya Nevka River between Akademika Lebedeva Street and Maly Sampsonievsky Avenue. It consists of two sections. The first section, named after N. I

Prisons (entry)

PRISONS. The first prison in St. Petersburg (Convict gaol, or Convict yard, until 1732 under the jurisdiction of the Admiralty) was built in 1706 in the area of present-day Truda square

Vyborgskaya Side

VYBORGSKAYA SIDE, a historical district of St. Petersburg, on the right bank of the Neva River and the Bolshaya Nevka River. In the east, it is confined by the Chernaya Rechka River

Vyborgsky District

VYBORGSKY DISTRICT is an administrative territorial unit of St. Petersburg. (Its territory administration is located at 86 Bolshoy Sampsonievsky Avenue) The district was founded in 1917; and its present-day territorial borders were established in