Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Lobanov-Rostovsky, House of

Lobanov-Rostovsky, House of

Categories / Architecture/Architectural Monuments/Mansions

LOBANOV-ROSTOVSKY, HOUSE OF (12 Admiralteisky Avenue), an architectural monument of high classicism. An early work of the architect A.A. Montferrand, it was constructed in 1817-1820 for Prince A.Y. Lobanov-Rostovsky. The triangular building faces Admiralteisky Avenue, Voznesensky Avenue and St. Isaac's Square, remaining an important element of the ensemble of central squares. The main facade, facing the Admiralty, is adorned with an eight-columned portico; white marble figures of lions (sculptor P. Triscorni), immortalised in the poem "The Bronze Horseman" by Alexander Pushkin, are located on both sides of the central arch. The original decor of the entrance hall and front staircase has been preserved. In the second half of the 19th century the Council of War, Chancellery of the Ministry of Defence and other establishments of the Military Department were located in the house. After October 1917 there was Military-Political Academy, aeronautical museum and dormitory located in the building. Since 1946, Project Institute № 1, the head organisation for designing industrial buildings and complexes has been located here.

References:Микишатьев М. Н. История дома со львами // Невский архив: Ист.-краевед. сб. СПб., 2003. [Вып.] 6. С. 221-251.

V. G. Isachenko.

Lobanov-Rostovsky Alexander Yakovlevich, Duke
Montferrand Auguste Augustovich (Henri Louis Auguste Leger Ricard de)
Pushkin Alexander Sergeevich
Triscorni Paolo

Admiralteysky Ave/Saint Petersburg, city, house 12

The subject Index
Ministry of War


Admiralteisky Avenue

ADMIRALTEISKY AVENUE (Admiralty Avenue) in the mid-to-late 18th century - Admiralteiskaya Street or Bolshaya Street, in 1918-44 - Roshalya Avenue in honour of revolutionary S. G. Roshal (1896-1917). A link between Palace Square and St

Admiralteisky District

ADMIRALTEISKY DISTRICT, (Admiralty) an administrative territorial unit of St. Petersburg (Its territory administration is located at 10 Izmailovsky Avenue), is one of the central districts of the city

Decorative Monumental Sculpture (entry)

DECORATIVE MONUMENTAL SCULPTURE. The art of monumental sculpture dates back to the time of Peter the Great; its first examples appeared throughout St. Petersburg, at the Summer Garden and various suburb residences

Montferrand A.A. (1786-1858), architect

MONTFERRAND Auguste Augustovich (Henri Louis Auguste Leger Richard) (1786-1858, St. Petersburg), architect, actual state counsellor (1858), honorary associate of the St. Petersburg Academy of Fine Arts

St. Isaac Square

St.ISAAC SQUARE (St. Isaac’s Square, in 1923-44, Vorovskogo Square), one of the central squares of St. Petersburg. Located between Admiralteisky Avenue and Mariinsky Palace

Triscorni А. and Triscorni P., sculptors

TRISCORNI (Trescornia), a family of Italian masters of monumental sculpture. Agostino Triscorni (1761-1824, St. Petersburg) worked in St. Petersburg from the late 1790s (decorative sculptures for the Gatchina Palace, the Imperial Public Library