Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Rinaldi А. (1709-1794), architect

Rinaldi А. (1709-1794), architect

Categories / Architecture/Personalia
Categories / Tsarskoe Selo and town of Pushkin. The digital chronological reference book/Pushkin personality

RINALDI Antonio (around 1709-1794), architect of Italian descent. Studied in Naples under L. Vanvitelli. From 1752 served under Hetman K.G. Razumovsky in Malorussia (Little Russia, otherwise known as Ukraine). Since 1754 resided in St. Petersburg, commissioned as court architect of Grand Princess Ekaterina Alexeevna, after her accession to the throne (1762) appointed Court Architect of Her Imperial Majesty. Following Rinaldi's projects, the Palace of Peter III (1758-62), the Chinese Palace (1762-68) and Tobogganing Hill (Katalnaya Gorka) Pavilion, whose adornment was still dominated by Rococo, were erected in Oranienbaum; Novoznamenka Mansion (cottage) along the Peterhof Road is also attributed to him (1750s). Rinaldi's mastery reached its peak in the 1760-70s, marked by creation of the Marble Palace (1768-85), the second St. Isaac's Cathedral and Gatchina Palace and Park Ensemble, bearing the stylistic traits of early Neoclassicism. Rinaldi skilfully integrated sculptural and pictorial fragments in interior adornment, being a virtuoso master ornamentation. Rinaldi designed the Tuchkov Buyan complex (1764-72), completed the construction of the Cathedral of Prince St. Vladimir, Holy Ascension Church (not intact) and St. Catherine's Roman Catholic Church, and erected the Bolshoy Theatre on Theatre Square (1775-83, one of the largest in Europe). Rinaldi had also devised projects for the construction of Great Gostiny Dvor and the reconstruction of SS. Peter&Paul Cathedral (not implemented). In 1772, he began the installation of the marble milestones along the roads to Tsarskoe Selo and Peterhof (partially intact). In 1779, took on the construction of the city Liflyandskie Gates beside the Fontanka River (not intact). In the 1770s, Rinaldi contributed to the planning of the landscape section of Catherine Park in Tsarskoe Selo, designed Cascade Canal there. He also erected the Chesme and Moreyskaya Rostral Columns, the Kagul obelisk, renewed the interior ornamentation of the Grotto, designed the Chinese and Gothic pavilions and built the Orlov (triumphal) Gates. In 1768-79, lived in his own house in Millionnaya Street beside the Winter Palace (not intact). In 1780, returned to Italy.

Reference: Кючарианц Д. А. Антонио Ринальди. Л., 1984; Ее же. Антонио Ринальди // Зодчие Санкт-Петербурга, XVIII век. СПб., 1997. С. 379-464.

V. V. Antonov.

Catherine II, Empress
Peter III, Emperor
Razumovsky Kirill Grigorievich, Count
Rinaldi Antonio
Vanvitelli Luiggi

Millionnaya St./Saint Petersburg, city
Teatralnaya Square/Saint Petersburg, city

Кючарианц Д. А. Антонио Ринальди. Л., 1984
Кючарианц Д. А. Антонио Ринальди // Зодчие Санкт-Петербурга, XVIII век. СПб., 1997

The subject Index
Marble Palace
Cathedral of Prince St. Vladimir
St. Catherine’s Roman Catholic Church
Bolshoy Gostiny Dvor
SS. Peter and Paul Cathedral