Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Nevsky District

Nevsky District

Categories / City Topography/Historical Geography/City Districts (2003)

NEVSKY DISTRICT, an administrative and territorial unit of St. Petersburg, with its administration located at 163 Obukhovskoy Oborony Avenue. Formed in 1917, it was called Volodarsky District in 1920-49, and exists with its present borders since 1968, its name coming from the Neva River. Situated in the eastern part of St. Petersburg, it is bound by the Vsevolozhsky District of the Leningrad Region, on the North by the Krasnogvardeysky and Tsentralny districts, on the West by the Frunzensky District, and on the South - East by the Kolpinsky District. It is the only district in the city spreading out on both banks of the Neva River. As of 2003, a population of 449.300 people live on the 63 square-km territory. There are nine municipal units, including No 49, 50, 53, 54, 57, and the Obukhovsky, Rybatsky, Vesely Poselok, and Okkervil municipal districts. The left bank's development started in 1723 with the laying out of a state-controlled road to Arkhangelsk through Schlisselburg. Settlements sprang up along the route, including Smolenskoe, Mikhaila Arkhangela, Shchemilovka, Alexandrovskoe, Murzinka, Rybatskoe, and Ust-Slavyanka. The district is also known as Nevskaya Zastava. In the late 19th - early 20th centuries, it was a low income area populated by workers. In the 1920-30s, residential blocs were constructed in many districts (Palevsky, Tekstilshchik, and others). In 1955, Leningrad's first large-panel residential building was constructed on Polyarnikov Street. The building of typical apartment blocs in Shchemilovka and Obukhov continued throughout the 1960-70s. In the 1980s, the Rybatskoe Municipal District was completely rebuilt (villages were replaced by modern apartment buildings). Up to the 1960s, the right bank of the Nevsky District was built up with a set of buildings placed within the narrow strip of land along the Neva. The villages of Klochi, Sosnivka, and others were locating there in the 18th century. In the late 19th century there appeared a saw yard, brick plants, and paper mills. In the 1960s, typical residential buildings were erected in the area adjacent to Narodnaya Street. The territory northward to Novoselov Street was built up with housing complexes in the 1970-80s. A large residential community with a population of approximately 250.000 inhabitants was named Vesely Poselok (after a factory settlement that once existed here). Five metro stations serve the district's left bank side, including Elizarovskaya, Lomonosovskaya, Proletarskaya, Obukhovo, and, Rybatskoe; and two serve its right bank side, including Prospekt Bolshevikov and Ulitsa Dybenko. Along the western border runs the main railway in the direction of Moscow with stations Navalochnaya, Farforovsky Post, Sortirovochnaya, Obukhovo, as does the line in the Volkhovstroy-Rybatskoe direction. Along the border with the Krasnogvardeysky District, the right bank is crossed by a railway line from the Ladozhsky Railway Station to the Finlyandsky Railway Bridge; further on near the Navalochnaya Station, a railway line leading to the Neva Station runs along the border of the Vsevolzhsky District of the Leningrad Region. Upward from the bridge area, the Neva's left bank accommodates the Rechnoy Riverside Station. The left bank's major thruways include Obukhovskoy Oborony Avenue, running into Schlisseburgsky Highway, Sedova Street, and Ivanovskaya Street; those of the right bank include Oktyabrskaya Embankment, Dalnevostochny Avenue, Bolshevikov Avenue, and Narodnaya Street running into Murmanskoe Higway (Kola route). The two banks are connected by the Volodarsky Bridge. The district includes approximately 60 large industrial enterprises from the engineering and military industries, including the Obukhovsky Plant, the Zvezda Plant, the Turbine Bucket Plant, the Proletarsky Plant, the Oktyabrsky Electric Car Repair Plant, the Nevsky Plant (former Lenin Plant), the Pigment Chemical Industry Enterprise, and the Lomonosovsky Porcelain Factory. The areas history includes the Holy Trinity Church (“The Easter Cake”), the Nevskaya Zastava Museum, and an Obelisk to the Marine Militia of the Russo-Swedish War of 1788-90 on the territory of Nevsky District. The Ice Palace is also considered to be a major cultural attraction.

References: Даринский А. В. Невский край: С.-Петербург и Ленингр. обл.: Природа. Население. Хоз-во. Р-ны. СПб., 2000; Памятники истории и культуры Санкт-Петербурга, состоящие под государственной охраной: Справ. СПб., 2000; Атлас исторического наследия Санкт-Петербурга. СПб., 2001; Историческая застройка Санкт-Петербурга: Перечень вновь выявленных объектов, представляющих ист., науч., худож. или иную культурную ценность (учетных зданий): Справ. СПб., 2001.

Е. А. Bondarchuk, P. Y. Yudin.

Bolshevikov Ave/Saint Petersburg, city
Dalnevostochny Ave/Saint Petersburg, city
Ivanovskaya Street/Saint Petersburg, city
Narodnaya St./Saint Petersburg, city
Obukhovskoy Oborony Ave/Saint Petersburg, city, house 163
Obukhovskoy Oborony Ave/Saint Petersburg, city
Oktyabrskaya Embankment/Saint Petersburg, city
Polyarnikov St./Saint Petersburg, city
Sedova St./Saint Petersburg, city
Shlisselburgskoe Freeway/Saint Petersburg, city
Saint Petersburg, city

Даринский А. В., Асеева И. В. География Санкт-Петербурга. СПб., 1996
Памятники истории и культуры Санкт-Петербурга, состоящие под государственной охраной: Справ. СПб., 2000
Атлас исторического наследия Санкт-Петербурга. СПб., 2001
Историческая застройка Санкт-Петербурга: Перечень вновь выявленных объектов, представляющих ист., науч., худож. или иную культур. ценность (учетных зданий): Справ. СПб., 2001
Даринский А. В. Невский край: С-Петербург и Ленингр. обл.: Природа. Население. Хоз-во. Районы. СПб., 2000

The subject Index
River Port
Obukhovsky Plant
Proletarsky Zavod, Manufacturing Association
Nevsky Plant
Lomonosov Porcelain Factory
"Easter Сake"
Ice Palace