Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
The subject index / Proletarsky Zavod, Manufacturing Association

Proletarsky Zavod, Manufacturing Association

Categories / Economy/Industry

PROLETARSKY ZAVOD (3 Dudko Street), an open joint-stock company, the largest manufacturer of ship, energy, and general machinery in the north-west region of Russia. It was founded in 1826 as State Alexandrovsky Iron Foundry, manufacturing a variety of products from simple hardware to complex industrial equipment and steamers. Numerous metallic constructions for bridges and buildings, grating, sculptures for the Alexandrinsky Theatre, the Winter Palace, the General Staff building, the Narva and the Moscow Arch of Triumph, etc. were made at the plant. Since the construction of St. Petersburg - Moscow railway began, the plant produced steamer locomotives (the first was made in 1845) and was the only locomotive works in the country for 20 years. Carriages of various types and classes (including those for Imperial trains and armoured cars for transportation of gold and silver coins) were also built here. During WW I (1914– 18) the plant produced ambulance cars, bath-cars, and movable kitchens. In the period of the Civil War the plant stood idle, then the plant was reequipped to accommodate the railway engine repair factory. Since 1922 it became the Proletarian Engine Repair Plant. In 1941 most of the equipment was evacuated, and the rest was used for repair of military hardware, production of cranes for cannonry, and track rollers for tank running gears. After the War the plant repaired railway engines, and when their production stopped (1959), the plant set up manufacturing of locomotives (in 1959–63 the plant was known as the Leningrad Engine Building Plant). In 1963 it was reequipped to manufacture ship-building products, and has since produced complex and unique equipment –hydraulic steering engines, cargo deck and hold cranes and windlasses, pumps, stabilisers, equipment for at-sea reloading and transshipment for dry and liquid cargoes, takeoff and landing equipment for aircraft carriers. In 1970 the Central Scientific Research Institute of Ship-Building and Economizer plant merged into a Research and Development Association, which designed a number of robot manipulator equipment. In 1992 a joint-stock company was set up instead of the Research and Development Association. In the 1990s the company increased production of goods for urban needs and agriculture, including pumps for power plants, transportable power stations working on natural gas, and pellet presses for feed production. In 1992 the joint-stock company was formed in the basis of Research and Development Association, which in addition to major lines of products also produces equipment for oil industry, metallurgic enterprises, heavy railway cranes, etc.

References: Пролетарцы: История Ленингр. об-ния «Пролетарский завод» Л., 1977; Пашке- вич И. А., Суслов В. Ф., Промыслов Л. А. Судовое машиностроение в Санкт-Петербурге // Наука, промышленность, сельское хозяйство и культура в Санкт-Петербурге и Ленинградской области на пороге XXI века: (Состояние и развитие). СПб., 2000. Т. 3. С. 126–152; Кривская П. Б., Кронберг Р. М., Булгаков А. А. Александровский завод – ОАО «Пролетарский завод», 1826–2001: 175 лет на службе отечеству. СПб., 2001.

P. B. Krivskaya, V.S. Solomko.

Dudko Street/Saint Petersburg, city, house 3

Пашкевич И.А,, Суслов В.Ф., Промыслов Л.А. Судовое машиностроение в Санкт-Петербурге // Наука, промышленность, сельское хозяйство и культура в Санкт-Петербурге и Ленинградской области на пороге XXI века: (Состояние и развитие). СПб., 2000
Кривская П. Б., Кронберг Р.М., Булгаков А.А. Александровский завод - ОАО "Пролетарский завод", 1826 - 2001: 175 лет на службе отечеству. СПб., 2001
Пролетарцы: История Ленингр. об-ния "Пролетарский завод" Л., 1977

The subject Index
Alexandrinsky Theatre
Winter Palace
Main Headquarters
Moscow Triumphal Arch
Narva Triumphal Arch


Clark Matthew (1776-1846), metallurgical engineer

CLARK Matvey Egorovich (Matthew) (1776-1846), metallurgical engineer, Chief Hunt Master. A native of Scotland, he served as inspector at St. Petersburg Iron Foundry (today, Kirovsky Plant) in 1824 and director of Alexandrovsky Foundry (today

Mikhaila Arkhangela Selo

MIKHAILA ARKHANGELA SELO, the historical name of a locality on the Nevskaya Zastava Territory. In the north it bordered on the settlement of Smolenskoe and in the south by the Farforovaya Colony

Nevskaya Zastava

NEVSKAYA ZASTAVA (outpost), a historical name of the territory along the left bank of the Neva River from Alexander Nevsky Lavra to Rybatskoe. It encompasses the following historical districts and localities: Steklyanny Settlement (Glass Settlement)

Nevsky District

NEVSKY DISTRICT, an administrative and territorial unit of St. Petersburg, with its administration located at 163 Obukhovskoy Oborony Avenue. Formed in 1917, it was called Volodarsky District in 1920-49

Oktyabrskaya Railway

OKTYABRSKAYA RAILWAY runs across Leningrad, Vologda, Moscow, Murmansk, Novgorod, Pskov, and Tver Regions and the Republic of Karelia. The total length of the network is 10.4 thousand km. The company office is located in St