Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
The subject index / Library of the Russian Academy of Sciences

Library of the Russian Academy of Sciences

Categories / Science. Education/Libraries

LIBRARY OF THE RUSSIAN ACADEMY OF SCIENCES (BAN) (1 Birzhevaya Line), founded in 1714 by the decree of Peter the Great as His Majesty’s Library (also called public and state library). The bulk of its collection was formed of the books of Aptekarsky Prikaz (Ministry of Health), the Library of the Dukes of Courland and the Library of the Gotthorps. In 1725-47, it was called the Imperial St. Petersburg Library, and in 1747-1917 - the Library of St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences. In 1917-25 it was known as the Library of the Russian Academy of Sciences, and in 1925-92 as the Library of Academy of Sciences of the USSR. The library has been known under its present name since 1992. In 1727, the library was entitled to a free copy of all publications of the Academy of Sciences, and since 1783, it has been receiving a copy of every Russian publication (until 1810 it was the only library in Russia with such a collection). In 2002, the Library of the Academy of Sciences encompassed the Central Library and 31 specialised research libraries of scientific and research establishments of the St. Petersburg Research Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences. As of 2002 the library contained over 20,000,000 Russian and foreign books, manuscripts, maps, engravings, etc., including over 8 million journals and over 26,000 newspapers. The manuscript department treasures documents spanning the period between the 5th and the 20th centuries in Old Russian, Slavonic, Greek, Latin and Western European languages of exceptional value. During the fire in February 1988, about 300,000 publications were lost and approximately 3,000,000 volumes were damaged (the lost collections have been partially restored). The system of the Library of Russian Academy of Sciences encompasses 49 reading halls with a seating capacity of 1,163 (with 15 reading halls located in the Central Library), annually serving over 33,000 readers. The Library of the Russian Academy of Sciences is the All-Russian branch centre of the inter-library exchange system, exchanging books with 2,000 establishments from 77 countries of the world. The library enjoys the legal status of a research institute in the field of library science, bibliography, information science, bibliology, academic commentary, conservation and restoration of documents, library and archive safety. It issues bibliographies, manuscript descriptions and catalogues. In 1728, the library moved to the Kunstkammer; in 1911-14 a special building designed by architect R.R. Marfeld was built for the library and the library opened its doors again in 1925.

References: История Библиотеки Академии наук СССР, 1714-1964. М.; Л., 1964; Книжные сокровища: К 275-летию БАН СССР. Л., 1990; Леонов В. П. Судьба библиотеки в России. СПб., 2000.

V. P. Leonov.

Marfeld Robert Robertovich
Peter I, Emperor

Birzhevaya Line/Saint Petersburg, city, house 1

История Библиотеки Академии наук СССР, 1714 - 1964. М.; Л.
Книжные сокровища: К 275-летию БАН СССР. Л., 1990

The subject Index
St. Petersburg Scientific Centre of RAS


Ber K.M., (1792-1876), naturalist

BER Karl Maximovich (1792-1876), naturalist, Member of the Petersburg Academy of Sciences (1828, Honorary Member since 1862). Graduated from Derpt University (1814). From 1817, worked at Koenigsberg University. Invited to St

Bogdanov A.I., (the 1690s-1766), Bibliognost, Historian.

BOGDANOV Andrey Ivanovich (the 1690s - 1766, St. Petersburg), first Russian bibliognost, historian of St. Petersburg, linguist. Worked as a master at the Gunpowder Factory in St. Petersburg from the 1710s, and as a printer at the St

Institute of History of the Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg

INSTITUTE OF HISTORY of the Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg, located at 7 Petrozavodskaya Street, successor to the Archaeographic Commission. It was established in 1936 as the Leningrad Department of the Institute of History of the

Lines of Vasilievsky Island (entry)

LINES Of VASILIEVSKY ISLAND, the historical name of a number of parallel streets that intersect Vasilievsky Island from the south to the north: First to Twenty-Ninth Lines, Birzhevaya Line, Kozhevennaya Line, Kosaya Line, Mendeleevskaya Line

Platonov S.F., (1860-1933), historian

PLATONOV Sergey Fedorovich (1860-1933), historian, member of the Russian Academy of Sciences (1920). He lived in St. Petersburg from 1869. Graduated from the faculty of history and philology of the University of St. Petersburg in 1882

Shakhmatov А.А., (1864-1920), philologist and historian

SHAKHMATOV Alexey Alexandrovich (1864-1920, Petrograd), philologist and historian, full member of the Petersburg Academy of Sciences from 1894. He graduated from Moscow University with a major in history and philology in 1887. Lived in St

Spit of Vasilievsky Island

SPIT OF VASILIEVSKY ISLAND, a cape in the eastern part of Vasilievsky Island, washed by the Bolshaya Neva and Malaya Neva rivers, the highest part of the island and one of the main architectural ensembles of St. Petersburg. Built to architect D