Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Volodarsky Printing House

Volodarsky Printing House


Categories / Economy/Industry

VOLODARSKY PRINTING HOUSE (59 Fontanka River Embankment) is the main production facility of Lenizdat Publishers. Originally called the Printing House of the State Medical Collegium, it was founded in 1795 on Aptekarsky Island. In 1836 it was subordinated to the Ministry of Home Affairs. The Printing House printed materials ordered by official bodies and private citizens, including medical, historical literature, fiction, official documents, and newspapers. On 25 October (old style 7 November), 1917, the proclamation of the Petrograd Military Revolutionary Committee "To Russian Citizens!" was printed here. In 1918 it was named after Volodarsky, a participant of the revolutionary movement. In the 1920-30s, Krasnaya Gazeta newspaper, Krasnaya panorama, Rezets, Hippopotamus magazines and factory newspapers were printed in the printing house. Starting in 1939 Volodarsky Printing House printed Leningradskaya Pravda. During the siege of 1941-44, the printing house published posters, leaflets, brochures and ration cards for foods and commodities. Leningrad Truth was not published only on 25 January, 1942 because on that day the printing facility was badly damaged in bombardment. In 1948, the printing house was transferred to Lenizdat Publishers. In the 1960s, the publishing house was expanded and reconstructed. Until 1993 the printing house printed all city newspapers. In the 1980-90s, the printing house installed new US, Germany and Austria-made equipment. Volodarsky Printing House is the second most powerful printing facility in St. Petersburg after the Printing Yard.

References: Типография Лениздата: К 175-летию со дня основания типографии им. Володарского Лениздата. Л., 1970.

V. G. Avdeev.

Addresses
Fontanka River Embankment/Saint Petersburg, city, house 59

Bibliographies
Типография Лениздата: К 175-летию со дня основания типографии им. Володарского Лениздата. Л., 1970

The subject Index
Ministry of Internal Affairs
Krasnaya Gazeta (The Red Gazette), newspaper
Siege of 1941-44


Printing Houses (entry)

PRINTING HOUSES. In 1711-21, four printing houses were opened in St. Petersburg by order of Tsar Peter the Great: the St. Petersburg Printing House, the Senate Printing House