Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
The subject index / Cathedral of Prince St. Vladimir

Cathedral of Prince St. Vladimir

Categories / Architecture/Architectural Monuments/Religious Architecture (see also Religion.Church)
Categories / Religion. Church/Places of Worship (see also Architecture and Urban Planning)

CATHEDRAL OF PRINCE ST. VLADIMIR, (Dobrolyubova Avenue, 26 Blokhina Street), an architectural monument in a transitional style from Baroque to Classicism. The Cathedral is located on the so-called mokrushi, soggy, regularly flooded lowland. In 1708, the wooden Church of St Nicholas was constructed. In 1713-19, a brick Holy Assumption Church with three side-altars was built, which later acquired the status of a cathedral. In 1740, a stone church was built (architect M. G. Zemtsov, then P. A. Trezzini supervised the construction and completion of the building). In 1766-73, it was rebuilt according to the plans of architect A. Rinaldi. The main building was crowned with five large domes, pylons divided the interior into three naves, and the walls were sectioned off with Dorian pilasters. Close to the cathedral there is a three-tier stand-alone bell tower. The unfinished cathedral was damaged by the fires of 1772 and 1783-89 and rebuilt by architect I. E. Starov who remodelled the decor of the facades. In 1823, the gallery was built and the iconostasis was redesigned in the Empire style. In 1834, the cathedral passed to the Order of St Vladimir. In 1859-66, the side-altars were moved to the main altar. In 1872-73, a fence with two chapels was constructed (architect N. F. Brullo); in 1882-86 St. Alexander's Chapel onthe corner of Bolshoy Avenue of Petrogradskaya Side was added (architect N. N. Kovrigin). In 1926-27, the cathedral was temporarily closed, in 1938-41 it served as the metropolitan cathedral and the residence of the ruling metropolitan. From 1940 to 2001, the Cathedral housed the Icon of Our Lady of Kazan (today it is kept at Kazan Cathedral). In 1989, a jubilee medal was minted in honour of the bicentenary of the cathedral.

References: Антонов В. В., Кобак А. В. Святыни Санкт-Петербурга: Ист.-церков. энцикл. СПб., 1994. Т. 1. С. 94-96.

V. V. Antonov.

Bryullov Nikolay Fedorovich
Kovrigin (Kavrigin) Nikolay Nikolaevich
Rinaldi Antonio
Starov Ivan Egorovich
Trezzini Pietro Antonio
Zemtsov Mikhail Grigorievich

Blokhina St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 26
Bolshoy Ave of Petrograskaya Storona/Saint Petersburg, city
Dobroliubova Avenue/Saint Petersburg, city

Антонов В. В., Кобак А. В. Святыни Санкт-Петербурга: Ист.-церков. энцикл. СПб., 1994

The subject Index
Kazan Cathedral

Alexy (Simansky), metropolitan in 1933-1945

ALEXY (born Sergey Vladimirovich Simansky) (1877-1970), religious figure, Doctor of Theology (1949). After graduating from the Faculty Of Law of Moscow University in 1899

Dobrolyubova Avenue

DOBROLYUBOVA AVENUE, running from Kronverksky Avenue to Bolshoy Avenue of the Petrogradskaya Side. Laid in the 1860s along the route of a filled-in section of the Zhdanovka River

Kazan Cathedral

KAZAN CATHEDRAL, Our Lady of Kazan Сathedral (2 Kazanskaya Square). A monument of Classical architecture. In 1733-1737, the three sided stone Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, with a high bell tower, stood on this spot (architect M.G

Miracle-Working and Revered Icons (entry)

MIRACLE-WORKING AND REVERED ICONS. The most famous Miracle-Working icon of Our Lady of Kazan — the copy of the 16th century of the lost Miracle-Working icon of the same name, can now be seen in the Kazan Cathedral

Petrogradskaya Side

PETROGRADSKAYA SIDE (in the 18th century - Gorodskaya Side, until 1914 - Peterburgskaya Side), the joint name of the territory that includes the following islands: Petrogradsky, Aptekarsky, Petrovsky and Zayachy

Petrogradsky District

PETROGRADSKY DISTRICT, an administrative and territorial unit of St. Petersburg, with its administration located at 19 Bolshaya Monetnaya Street. The district was formed in 1917, and in 1936 the Primorsky District was separated from its territory

Rinaldi А. (1709-1794), architect

RINALDI Antonio (around 1709-1794), architect of Italian descent. Studied in Naples under L. Vanvitelli. From 1752 served under Hetman K.G. Razumovsky in Malorussia (Little Russia, otherwise known as Ukraine). Since 1754 resided in St

Trezzini Pietro Antonio (1692-1760s), architect

TREZZINI Pietro Antonio (1692-1760s), architect, representative of the Baroque style. A native of Italian Switzerland, studied in Milan. From 1726 lived in St. Petersburg, initially worked independently

Zemtsov M.G. (1688-1743), architect.

ZEMTSOV Mikhail Grigoryevich (1688-1743, St. Petersburg), architect, graphic artist, theorist of architecture, representative of the early Baroque. He studied at the Armoury Printing House School in Moscow. He worked in St

Zhdanovskaya Street and Embankment

ZHDANOVSKAYA EMBANKMENT, running from Bolshoy Avenue of the Petrogradskaya Side to Novoladozhskaya Street. The embankment was formed in the 18th century as a passage along the right bank of the Zhdanovka River